Wednesday, February 6, 2008

We went as a group to London on the 1st and it was as much fun as I would anticipate considering the fun group involved. This was the first trip that all (40 whatever) of us went together. Really, it was a lot of fun and i didn't even have a hard time being in a big group which is unusual. (big things are happening here in England) First we all went to the British Museum, which was interesting, but everyone was ready to see the National Gallery. I really loved seeing the sculptures that were part of the British Museum. I have a new found appreciation of the hard work that is put into sculpting. Especially sculpting in the Greek idealist sense of the word. The National Gallery was like an art nerd's heaven and we spent quite a while in there. Luckily the small group that we had ended up breaking into all fell into a similar appreciation of art and so we were all quite blissful by the time we had made it through (most of) the Gallery. Because there was such a freedom in the schedule for the afternoon the big group did naturally split into smaller groups and so Casey and I ended up spending the rest of our night with Kara, Daley, Zach and Jeremy, which is not a new group, but it is a ridiculously entertaining one. We really spent most of the rest of the night traversing London with no real agenda or purpose, which made my knee flare up and tell me it hated me but the company was worth enough for me to tell my leg to shut up.



I'm not good at dancing because I don't like to be led, I let Jeremy lead me for one of the first time... ever (besides my dad)
he promised me a dance at Piccadilly Circus


me and Holland Wiggins outside of the British Museum


Me and Casey on the train


Casey in front of the pediment sculptures from the Parthenon


Sculpture in the British Museum


This is what I got when i tried to set my camera on a timer so we could all be in the pic... not bad. Upstairs at the British Museum


We ate in London's Chinatown for dinner. How could we pass up the offer by the man at the door to eat at "Chinatown's most hygienic restaurant" ?





Since I have neglected my blog for long enough to make this post incredibly outdated I will go ahead and add pictures from the weekend trip we just took. We started by driving to Warwick Castle where we spent a few hours before getting back on the bus and driving to the coastal town of Whitby. My ancestry is in Whitby so I felt right at home. I wasn't successful in finding the house that is pictured in the book of our lineage because it's a small town, but not that small. I did pick up some rocks off of the beaches of Whitby for my grandparents. (Sorry to spoil the surprise Massingills) We stayed at a hostel that was connected to the Whitby Abbey ruins. Saturday we got up and drove to York and then made our way home by dinner.

Aren't we sweet. We sat at the back of the bus so this was one of my 3 bus partners... the sweetest one of course


The four of us just look so good together. This is the view from a tower at Warwick Castle


Sweetness on the beaches at Whitby


more pictures to come

No comments: